Christmas 2018 "How can I know that the Bible is true?"

Hello this is Eric, and this week I was asked this question,

“How do I know that the Bible is true?” 

Great question.  Truth is by definition, is logically consistent, and objectively verifiable.  Simply, that means, 2+2=4.   Logically, if I have 2 and add 2 more, I now have 4; and I can verify this by evidence—taking 2 apples, and adding 2 more apples, and now I count them, wallah, I have 4 apples.

In Isaiah 42:9 God gives a powerful way that we can know that what He says is true,

“‘I am the Lord; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols.  Behold, the former things have come to pass, and new things I now declare; before they spring forth I tell you of them.’”

God tells us the future; And, if it comes to pass like He said it would, it was from Him.  The Bible calls this prophecy.  Because God is not bound by time, and He knows all things, He is able to tell us what will happen in the future.  By watching this we can learn to trust that God's word is true.

In this passage in Isaiah God is challenging the false gods (the idols that Israel has pursued) and challenged them to do what only God can, tell the future.  Earlier in the Deuteronomy 18:20-22 God says,

“'But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in my name that I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die.’ And if you say in your heart, ‘How may we know the word that the Lord has not spoken?’—when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word that the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously. You need not be afraid of him.”

God shows that He is God, and true, by telling us what will happen in the future--Prophecy--and when it is truly from God, it will come true.

Fulfilled prophecy, God telling us what will happen in the future, and then it does happen.  Wow.  This is a fascinating way to see the truth and power of God...especially during the Christmas holiday season.  For the next month I am going to take a look at some of the prophecies that God gave regarding the Messiah, the Christ, the Rescuer; and how they have been fulfilled.  I will show you from the fulfilled prophecies that God gave us in the Bible, how we can know that the Bible is indeed, true.

Do you want to walk on this journey with us?

Subscribe here:  http://takingnextstepswithjesus.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected destinations along the way

A Disciplemaking Way of Life Invitation

Christmas 2018 The Seed of Abraham